Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Will be asking President Elect Joe Biden not to send a wreath to the Arlington Confederate Monument.

 I gave up on trying to get Donald Trump not to send a wreath after the effort in  2017. People didn't have expectations the petition would be worth the effort. I think a lot of people also understood that if Trump was criticized for sending a wreath to the Arlington Confederate Monument it would bring up the topic that former Pres. Obama had also sent wreaths to the Arlington Confederate Monument even though prominent scholars had asked him not to. 

Also I had a lot of work to do in de-Confederating Dallas, Texas. That work is done and Joe Biden is now president-elect as of the Electoral College vote at least, if not earlier.

However, it is going to be 2021 soon and I think it is time to campaign to get Joe Biden to not send a presidential wreath to the Arlington Confederate Monument. 

I am thinking that largely the letter I sent to Donald Trump would work as well, but I will have to review it.

To track the history of this campaign looking at the links to the right of this page. For the Donald Trump campaign I did a lot of historical postings about the time when the Arlington Confederate Monument went up, and I think you can just skip back to the earlier letters and reports.

So this is a notice that the campaign is on again and I will be starting it up. Haven't decided what the campaign should be yet. I don't think I want to try to get prominent historians again. I am sure they know that it brings up the issue of Obama and they know the neoliberal establishment doesn't want that. 

However, since 2015 neo-Confederacy has been under seige and a lot has happened and for most, if not all major cities and even many mid-range and small cities the Confederate monuments are gone. The recent Defense appropriate bill is renaming ten military bases named after Confederates. The Confederacy is vanishing from the landscape. So in 2021 continuing to send a wreath to the Arlington Confederate Monument is not going to be something that is as easily defended. Obama had a beer summit with abusive police officers in 2009 when he sent a wreath to the Arlington Confederate Monument. Since then the BLM movement took off after that, Confederate monuments have come tumbling down. Can you imagine Biden having a beer summit with abusive police officers?

It is 2021 shortly and all sorts of possibilities open themselves up. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts All Time